NBC D-DAY COVERAGE
- NBC D-Day
- C18270 06/06/44 02:45 - 03:45 am
- First bulletin, subsequent bulletins, piano
fill, bulletins and news, awaiting Allied confirmation, more bulletins
from Washington (Richard Harkness), new bulletins from New York, more
bulletins from New York, Richard Harkness from Washington, Morgan Beatty
analysis, Robert St. John news summary from New York, news, music fill,
“V” for Victory code sound, Robert St. John, BBC feed Communiqué #1
is read at 3:32 a.m., first Allied news that the Invasion had begun,
Edward R. Murrow in London reads Eisenhower’s Order of the Day, H.V.
Kaltenborn, Herbert M. Clark’s report is read from London describing the
invasion fleet, Robert St. John
- C18271 06/06/44 03:45 - 04:45 am
- General Eisenhower from SHAEF HQ, King
Haakon VII (Norway) speaks in Norwegian (translation follows), Premier
Gerbandy of the Netherlands (translation follows), Premier Pierlot of
Belgium (translation follows), Wright Bryan reports from London
(eyewitness account of the first parachute drop), National Anthem, John W.
Vandercook from London, report from the Pentagon (General Pershing’s
statement is read), Richard Harkness.
- C18272 06/06/44 04:45 - 05:52 am
- Report from London by James Willard, Robert
St. John from New York, Richard Harkness from Washington, Morgan Beatty,
Richard Harkness interviews an official of the French Government in exile
describing what life is like in France under the Nazis, David Anderson
reports from London describing the air invasion, summary by H.V.
Kaltenborn, recording of Communiqué #1 is played, Stars and Stripes
Forever, station ID, Robert St. John in New York, Richard Harkness from
- C18273 06/06/44 05:52 - 06:52 am
- Richard Harkness from Washington
(concluded), Don Goddard in New York, attempted report from Europe
(cancelled due to poor reception), Louis P. Lockner from Hollywood with an
analysis, Morgan Beatty in Washington reads a radio essay titled “The
First One Thousand Yards,” news from New York, Robert St. John reads a
- C18274 06/06/44 06:52 - 07:45 am
- Robert St. John news summary (concluded),
Alex Dreier in Chicago recalls his experiences as the last western
correspondent in Nazi Germany, H.V. Kaltenborn reads late bulletins, the
ringing of the Liberty Bell is heard, Robert St. John reads the late news,
station ID, NBC chimes, Gruen Watches advertisement, time check, Norman
Vincent Peale speaks, Don Goddard news.
- C18275 06/06/44 07:45 - 08:45 am
- Prayer by Rabbi David deSola Poole, Morgan
Beatty reads a news bulletin from Washington, Larry Smith in San
Francisco, prayer by Father Shea, Stanley Richardson from London with an
eyewitness account of the invasion from the Channel boats (after several
failed attempts to reach him), Elmer Peterson in New York, Edward R.
Murrow introduces Stanley Richardson from London (transmission failure),
Elmer Peterson continued, Charles F. McCarthy from New York, Stanley
Richardson from London with an eyewitness account of the invasion fleet,
Merrill Mueller from SHAEF headquarters on Eisenhower’s last hours
before the invasion (interrupted by a reading of Roosevelt’s invasion
- C18277 06/06/44 08:45 - 09:45 am
- David Anderson from London, Ed Hocker, John
W. Vandercook, Ralph Howard from Rome, H.V. Kaltenborn in New York,
Richard Harkness in Washington, NBC Orchestra plays martial music, H.V.
Kaltenborn bulletin, NBC Orchestra continues.
- C18278 06/06/44 09:45 - 11:30 am
- NBC Orchestra contines, Elmer Peterson reads
news bulletins, Nancy Osgood interviews wives of Generals Stark, Spaatz,
Kirk, and Doolittle news bulletins from Washington, Don Goddard in New
York, station ID, analysis by H.V. Kaltenborn, “Tommy Taylor Sings”
(interrupted by H.V. Kaltenborn with a bulletin), “Tommy Taylor Sings”
- C18279 06/06/44 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
- “Tommy Taylor Sings” (concluded), Elmer
Peterson reads news bulletins, rebroadcast of General Eisenhower from
London, NBC Orchestra, NBC chimes, prayer by Mr. Dewitt Davidson, Don
Goddard news from New York, W.W. Chaplin reports from London, station ID,
“News Behind The News” with Cesar Saerchinger
- C28280 06/06/44 12:30 - 01:30 pm
- Morgan Beatty from the floor of the U.S.
Senate interviews Senators Clark, Luce, Barkley, White, and Hill, Don
Goddard in New York reads news bulletins, station ID, remotes from
Cleveland, Chicago (Alex Dreier reporting), Denver, Hollywood, San
Francisco, Don Goddard in New York with a summary of stateside reaction,
H.V. Kaltenborn reads news bulletins, military analysis by Lt. Col. James
Stevenson, rebroadcast of Merrill Mueller’s report, re-broadcast of
Communiqué # 1, Tommy Taylor sings with Irving Miller and his Orchestra.
- C18281 06/06/44 01:30 - 02:30 pm
- Station ID, Don Hollenbeck compares the
Italian landings with today’s invasion, BBC report, Morgan Beatty in
Washington, report from the Pentagon, interviews with two Colonels, time
check, station ID, Elmer Peterson with a historical perspective, piano
fill, re-broadcast of Stanley Richardson report, Don Goddard with news
- C18282 06/06/44 02:30 - 03:30 pm
- Time check, station ID, prayer by Archbishop
Spellman, organ fill, news bulletins, H.V. Kaltenborn, Don Goddard news,
musical interlude, prayer by Bishop Manning, news bulletins, BBC reporter
John McGinn describes landing in France in a glider, Howard Marshall with
an eyewitness account of the beach-head.
- C18283 06/06/44 04:00 - 05:00 pm
- Prayer by Dr. Barnes, program about the NBC
International Division (short-wave service to Europe), a reading of
General Eisenhower’s message in eight different languages, news
bulletins, Commander Anthony Kimmons reports from London, talk by the
Netherlands ambassador to the United States, Cesar Saerchinger analysis,
time check, Don Hollenbeck news bulletins, Morgan Beatty reports from the
White House on the just concluded press conference by President Roosevelt,
Don Hollenbeck, Don Goddard news bulletins, the President’s prayer read
at dictation speed, news bulletins.
- C18284 06/06/44 05:00 - 06:00 pm
- Station ID and time check, prayer by Dr.
Horton, NBC Orchestra music fill, Morgan Beatty recap of Roosevelt’s
press conference, Louis Lochner from Hollywood, news bulletins, station
ID, news bulletins, re-broadcast of General Eisenhower’s first speech,
Elmer Peterson news bulletins, NBC Orchestra.
- C18285 06/06/44 06:00 - 07:00 pm
- News Bulletins, Don Hollenbeck reads
communiqué # 2, “Serenade to America” with Winifred Hite, Nora
Sterling, and Milton Katims and his Orchestra, Lowell Thomas with a
summary of the day’s events, U.S. Army Chaplin Arnold offers a prayer.
- C18286 06/06/44 07:00 - 08:00 pm
- “News Of The World” with Robert St.
John, John W. Vandercook from London, Robert McCormick from Nonolulu,
Morgan Beatty and Richard Harkness from Washington D.C., station ID,
“Poem And Prayer For An Invading Army” by Edna St. Vincent Millay,
read by Ronald Colman, organ fill, H.V. Kaltenborn with the news
- C18287 06/06/44 08:00 - 09:00 pm
- Station ID, prayer by Dr. Goldstein, special
program, Ginny Simms sings, a wounded G.I. with a message to his wife, a
U.S. Navy Commander describes how the wounded are treated, a chaplain from
the Navy speaks, Roy Shield and his Orchestra from Chicago.
- C18288 06/06/44 09:00 - 10:00 pm
- NBC chimes, station ID, cross country
reaction to the invasion with announcer Ben Grauer including remotes from
WTIC (Hartford, CT), WSYR (Syracuse, NY), WTAR (Norfork, VA), WSPD
(Toledo, OH), late news bulletins, WLW (Cincinnati, OH), WMC (Memphis,
TN), KSTP (St. Paul, MN), WKY (Oklahoma, OK), “Fibber McGee &
Molly” special all-music program with Billy Mills and his Orchestra, The
King’s Men, and announcer Harlow Wilcox (includes news bulletins).
- C18289 06/06/44 10:00 - 10:50 pm
- Station ID, the prayer of President
Roosevelt and his address to the nation, a recital by Fred Waring and his
Pennsylvanians, station ID and NBC chimes, “The Bob Hope Show” from
the Van Nuys Aerodrome with Frances Langford, Stan Kenton and his
Orchestra, and announcer Wendell Niles, “The Red Skelton Show” (Skelton’s
last show as a civilian).
- C18290 06/06/44 10:50 pm - 12:00 am
- Robert St. John news and reports from
overseas, W.W. Chaplin from London, report from Australia, Robert
McCormick reports from Honolulu, summary from Washington, Roy Shield and
his Orchestra from Chicago, George Hicks from London (actuality from the
beach-head) Roy Shield and his Orchestra continues.
- C18291 06/07/44 12:00 - 01:00 am
- Lyle Van news, Roy Shield and his Orchestra
from Chicago with Jean McKenna, NBC chimes, station ID, Robert St. John
- C18292 06/07/44 01:00 - 02:00 am
- “Moment For Meditation,” Don Hollenbeck
news, “Strings For Meditation,” News bulletins.
- C18293 06/07/44 02:00 - 03:00 am
- Joe Reichman and his Orchestra from the
Biltmore Hotel, Los Angeles and Pancho and his Orchestra from the Mural
Room of the Hotel St. Francis (with news bulletins).
- C18294 06/07/44 03:00 - 04:00 am
- NBC Orchestra plays semi-classical music,
Don Goddard re-reads Communiqué # 1 at 3:32 a.m., exactly 24 hours after
it was first issued.
- C18295 06/07/44 04:00 - 05:00 am
- "Organ Interlude” by George Schacley,
rebroadcast of President Rossevelt’s prayer, NBC Orchestra plays
semi-classical music, Don Goddard news, re-broadcast of King George VI’s
address to Commonwealth, organ music by George Schacley.
- C18296 06/07/44 05:00 - 06:00 am
- Don Goddard news, Frank McCall from London,
NBC Concert Orchestra, Stanley Richardson reads Communiqué # 3 from
London, organ music by George Schacley, Stanley Richardson from London,
NBC Concert Orchestra, organ music by George Schacley.
- C18297 06/07/44 06:00 - 07:00 am
- News bulletins, NBC Concert Orchestra and
George Schacter at the organ, news bulletins, station ID, “Modern
Farming Program,” station ID.
- C18298 06/07/44 07:00 - 08:00 am
- News bulletins, “Morning In Manhattan”
(local morning show), Don Goddard news, “Reveille Round-Up” (live
country music show).
- C18299 06/07/44 08:00 - 09:00 am
- “Morning News Round-Up,” “C.F.
McCarthy And The News,” “Modern Romances.”
- C18300 06/07/44 09:00 - 10:00 am
- “Mirth & Madness” (Aladdin” skit),
Adelide Hawley program, “The Alice Cornell Show,” Elmer Peterson news
- C18301 06/07/44 10:00 - 11:00 am
- “Laura Lofton,” “News And The People
In The News” with Robert St. John, “Helpmate,” “The Story Of Linda
Harper,” Tommy Taylor sings popular tunes, news bulletins.
- C18302 06/07/44 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- “The Road Of Life,” “Vic & Sade,”
“Brave Tomorrow,” “David Harum,” cancelled after less than 1
minute for a special broacast from London: Tom Traynor with an eyewitness
report from the beach-head, piano fill.
- C18303 06/07/44 12:00 - 01:00 pm
- “News At Noon,” including a report from
London by W.W. Chaplain, recorded music, Elmer Peterson news, BBD
actuality recordings, George Wheeler aboard the cruiser “Augusta” 3
hours before “H” hour, Tommy Traynor from SHAEF headquarters, Don
Hollenbeck news summary.
- C18304 06/07/44 01:00 - 02:00 pm
- Mary Margaret McBride with guest Ben Ames
Williams, Morgan Beatty News and Analysis.
- C18305 06/07/44 02:00 - 03:00 pm
- “The General Mills Hour,” including
“The Guilding Light,” “Today’s Children,” “The Woman In
White,” and “Hymns Of All Churches.”
- C18306 06/07/44 03:00 - 04:00 pm
- “A Woman Of America,” “Ma Perkins,”
“Pepper Young’s Family,” H.V. Kaltenborn news.
- C18307 06/07/44 04:00 - 05:00 pm
- “Mary Noble, Backstage Wife,” “Stella
Dallas,” “Lorenzo Jones,” “Young Widder Brown.
- C18308 06/07/44 05:00 - 06:00 pm
- “When A Girl Marries,” “We Love And
Learn,” W.W. Chaplain from London, Robert Duff (BBC), Communiqué # 4 is
read, Robert St. John news, “Front Page Farrell”